- The original name for Windows was Interface Manager.
- Windows 1.0 first released in 1985. By 1990, over 10 million copies had been sold.
- In August 1995, Windows 95 was released in a buying fever so great that even people without home computers bought it. Over one million copies were sold in the first four days, and in the first seven weeks, over 7 million copies were sold worldwide.
- Windows is the most widely used operating system in the world, with an estimated 300 million copies in current use.
- Windows 3.1 (released in 1992) had three million lines of code, but less than 10 years later, Windows XP (released in 2001) had over 45 million lines of code. Windows Server 2003 has over 50 million lines of code.