Here is an interesting article I came across to judge where a software project stands:
Basically it has following questions each of which has to answered in either “Yes” or “No”:
The Joel Test
- Do you use source control?
- Can you make a build in one step?
- Do you make daily builds?
- Do you have a bug database?
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code?
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
- Do you have a spec?
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions?
- Do you use the best tools money can buy?
- Do you have testers?
- Do new candidates write code during their interview?
- Do you do hallway usability testing?
Refer the link for details about these points.
Basically the bottom line is “if your software project scores below 10, your project is in trouble”.